1A diurnal bird of prey with long pointed wings and a notched beak, typically catching prey by diving on it from above. Compare with hawk1 (sense 1) of the noun).
- Family Falconidae, in particular the genus Falco: many species, including the peregrine, hobby, merlin, and kestrel
More example sentences
- Pete takes us inside the lives and minds of all thirty-four species of diurnal raptors found in North America - hawks, falcons, eagles, vultures, the osprey and the harrier.
- The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds estimates that around 100 birds of prey, including eagles, falcons and hen harriers, are either poisoned, shot, trapped or have their nests destroyed every year on the Scottish moors.
- Hawks, harriers, falcons, eagles, and vultures are diurnal migrants.
Definition of falcon in:
- The British & World English dictionary