Definition of false vampire in English:
A large carnivorous bat that preys on rodents, reptiles, and other small vertebrates.
- ● An Old World bat (three species in the family Megadermatidae, including the large Australian ghost bat, Macroderma gigas). ● A tropical New World bat (Vampyrum spectrum, family Phyllostomidae).
- These ‘false vampires’ or yellow-winged bats are quite distinctive in appearance, with long, erect noseleaves (fleshy protrusion from the nose) and huge ears.
- False Vampire Bats are found in lowland forests from Central America, south to Northern Bolivia and the Southern Amazon Basin.
- Australian false vampire bats typically roost in caves and abandoned mines.
Definition of false vampire in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan