1Valuable items of jewelry belonging to a particular family and handed down from one generation to the next: the Astor family jewels
More example sentences
- The collection consists of traditional jewellery inspired from the family jewels of the Nizam.
- He criticizes judges who have overruled will provisions requesting the demolition of a family estate or a burial with family jewels.
- In my novel, the character sees past wearers standing before her when she adorns herself with family jewels.
2 humorous A man’s genitals.
- She didn't mention anything about my family jewels, which must evidently hang out when I fight.
- How would he have felt if his friend had missed the ‘target’ and ended up shooting off his family jewels?
- Something cold and clammy ran up his leg, into his pants and was racing its way towards his family jewels!
sell (or sell off) the family jewels
- Part with or sell valuable or precious resources for the sake of immediate profit or advantage: he has no intention of selling the family jewels by licensing out his technology too earlyMore example sentences
- I am able to pay for this private treatment without having to sell the family jewels.
- There are accusations of selling off the family jewels to pay for extravagant building projects.
- I was pleasantly surprised that the government is not selling the family jewels.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: fam·i·ly jew·els
Definition of family jewels in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.