Definition of family jewels in English:
1Valuable items of jewelry belonging to a particular family and handed down from one generation to the next: the Astor family jewels
More example sentences
- At festive times when she did wear the family jewels at my mother's insistence, she took ages to put them on.
- The incident comes just three months after a gang raided the family's home and got away with family jewels worth over 2 million pounds.
- It was unfortunate because the robbers broke into his house and demanded that he hand over the family jewels.
2 humorous A man’s genitals.
- Then I kicked him hard, right into his family jewels.
- She didn't mention anything about my family jewels, which must evidently hang out when I fight.
- How would he have felt if his friend had missed the ‘target’ and ended up shooting off his family jewels?
sell (or sell off) the family jewels
- Part with or sell valuable or precious resources for the sake of immediate profit or advantage: he has no intention of selling the family jewels by licensing out his technology too earlyMore example sentences
- This has been regarded by many as a selling of the family jewels for a quick gain by the council.
- It is widely known that he was most unhappy about selling the country's family jewels.
- Sometimes the rich clubs get richer, but the not-quite-so-rich sell off most of the family jewels to remain solvent.
Definition of family jewels in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan