Definition of fantail in English:
1.1chiefly North American The rounded overhanging part of the stern of a vessel, especially a warship.
- They rigged up a rope ladder and hung it from the fantail and the liberty boat ran in under it.
- Although most fleet Kingfishers were catapulted from the fantails of battleships and cruisers, the Navy also tried mounting them on the stern of destroyers.
- Despite going to sea on a boat with no windows, no fantail, no helipad or even a hatch to allow in some tension-breaking fresh salt air, submariners are still sailors at heart.
1.2 (also fantail pigeon) A domestic pigeon of a broad-tailed variety.
- A fantail pigeon will probably mate only if it catches the eye of the breeder; a wild pigeon will not mate unless it withstands the struggle for existence long enough to reach maturity.
- Lamarck's Philosophie zoologique mentions the great variety of animal and plant forms produced under human cultivation (Lamarck even anticipated Darwin in mentioning fantail pigeons!
- In that area were several bird houses crowded with gorgeous white fantail pigeons, who perched there or hopped down to walk around on the ground; a couple of Muscovy ducks; a sleepy dog.
1.3The fan of a windmill.
- The heritage group dedicated to restoring Holgate Windmill in York to a full working state, with a new set of five sails and fantail, has a range of merchandise to help fund its worthy cause.
- A huge 60ft crane will be used to hoist a new fantail on to the back of historic Shipley Windmill.
- Verbij, whose family has been building windmills for four generations, said little had survived of the windmill's original fantail, which was made of a soft wood that lasted only about 20 years under the continual onslaught of salt air and sea winds.
- Example sentences
- I have a 30L tank with one fan tailed gold fish two multicoloured fan tailed fish and one black fan tailed fish.
- It had a nicely drawn design of fan-tailed animals marching in opposing directions, row by row, and was done in the silky wool characteristic of good Baluch work.
Definition of fantail in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan