- A ruling on a point of Islamic law given by a recognized authority.More example sentences
- But they should intervene with fatwas or rulings when legislation arises that affects Islamic issues.
- Back then, Sunnis obeyed fatwas by clerics to boycott the vote.
- At the same time, 64 Sunni clerics gave a fatwa that for Iraqis to join the military and police is permitted.
early 17th century: from Arabic fatwā, from afta'aā 'decide a point of law'. Compare with mufti1.
More definitions of fatwaDefinition of fatwa in:
- The British & World English dictionary