Definition of federal case in English:
1US Law A criminal case that falls under the jurisdiction of a federal court.
- The FBI has a decentralized command structure to facilitate prosecution of federal cases at the local field-office level.
- If a fraud scheme happens entirely in Georgia, but happens to involve one letter sent to Florida because someone was on vacation there, why does that make it legitimately a federal case?
- The federal appeals court said there is no reason the federal case cannot go forward at the same time.
1.1 informal A matter of great concern or with dire consequences: I’m not trying to make a federal case out of this, Christine, but you’ve got to do something
More example sentences
- We were not about to make a federal case out of it and neither did the waiter, who removed the offending dish and asked us what we would like as a replacement, no questions asked.
- Teachers and administrators should not make a federal case out of it.
- You don't need to make a federal case out of it!
Definition of federal case in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan