- 1US Law A criminal case that falls under the jurisdiction of a federal court.More example sentences
- The FBI has a decentralized command structure to facilitate prosecution of federal cases at the local field-office level.
- If a fraud scheme happens entirely in Georgia, but happens to involve one letter sent to Florida because someone was on vacation there, why does that make it legitimately a federal case?
- The federal appeals court said there is no reason the federal case cannot go forward at the same time.
- 1.1 • informal A matter of great concern or with dire consequences: I’m not trying to make a federal case out of this, Christine, but you’ve got to do somethingMore example sentences
- We were not about to make a federal case out of it and neither did the waiter, who removed the offending dish and asked us what we would like as a replacement, no questions asked.
- Teachers and administrators should not make a federal case out of it.
- You don't need to make a federal case out of it!
More definitions of federal caseDefinition of federal case in:
- The British & World English dictionary