Definition of fennel in English:
An aromatic yellow-flowered European plant of the parsley family, with feathery leaves.
- Foeniculum vulgare, family Umbelliferae: two subspecies, a hardy perennial (dulce), the seeds and leaves of which are used as culinary herbs, and the annual Florence (or sweet) fennel (azoricum), with swollen leaf bases that are eaten as a vegetable
- Angelica belongs to the Umbellifer family and is of similar habit to dill, fennel, caraway and lovage.
- Place the star anise, bay leaf, fennel seeds, cinnamon stick and ginger in a mortar.
- These include soya products, beetroot, parsley, root fennel and yams.
Old English finule, fenol, from Latin faeniculum, diminutive of faenum 'hay'.
Words that rhyme with fennelantennal, crenel, kennel
Definition of fennel in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan