noun (plural same)
- A unit of length equal to 10−15 meter (one femtometer), used in nuclear physics. It is similar to the diameter of a proton.More example sentences
- In order to fuse two hydrogen nuclei together, though, we must force another proton into the hydrogen atom within a distance of 1 fermi from the atom's proton.
- About half a century later, Robert Hofstadter won the 1961 Nobel Prize in physics for his work verifying that the radius of an atomic nucleus is about one fermi.
- It acts between two neutrons, between two protons, or between a neutron and a proton, as long as they are no farther apart than a distance of one fermi.
early 20th century: named after E. Fermi (see Fermi, Enrico).
More definitions of fermiDefinition of fermi in:
- The British & World English dictionary