1A ceramic compound consisting of a mixed oxide of iron and one or more other metals. Ferrite has ferrimagnetic properties and is used in high-frequency electrical components such as antennas.
- He said that in this approach the core can be a highly magnetic material like iron or iron alloys, while the shell can be a mixed metal ferrite with tailored resistivity.
- Some of the physical incidents in haunts, including interference with electrical equipment and movement of objects with ferrite components, may also be due to anomalous electromagnetic conditions.
- The remainder enters into solid solution in the ferrite with the non-carbide forming elements nickel and silicon.
2 Metallurgy A form of pure iron with a body-centered cubic crystal structure, occurring in low-carbon steel.
- Trip steels have a microstructure with retained austenite, ferrite and martensite.
- The microstructure is thus converted to ferrite, and the excess carbon is deposited on the existing nodules.
- They exhibit an austenitic matrix, although several grades also contain some ferrite.
- (sense 2).Example sentences
- All of the ferritic types are considered weldable with the majority of the welding processes except for the free machining grade 430F, which contains high sulphur content.
- In the cast stainless steels structures may be austenitic, ferritic, martensitic, or ferric-austenitic (duplex).
- There is another important group of stainless steels which are essentially ferritic in structure.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of ferrite in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.