1(Of a muscle, especially in the heart) make a quivering movement due to uncoordinated contraction of the individual fibrils: the atria ceased to fibrillate when the temperature was reduced
More example sentences
- Ventricular fibrillation is a life-threatening disturbance in the heart rhythm, which causes the heart to fibrillate in a disordered way.
- If one were to look at the heart as it were fibrillating, it would look like a bowl of Jell-O quivering.
- When the heart fibrillates as a result of hypothermia, the surgeon crossclamps the ascending aorta using a medium Fogarty clamp.
2(Of a fiber) split up into fibrils.
- Following installation of the fabric, when high pressure showers are in use, the yarns tend to fibrillate, small pieces of yarn peeling away and often ending up in the cross-over point of the weave.
- During tufting, however, the profiled weft yarn fibrillates in an uncontrolled manner which for deniers finer than about 500 dtex can result in such low strength that the resulting carpet tears during the finishing process.
2.1 [with object] Break (a fiber) into fibrils.
- The thicker the ribbon yarn the more difficult the yarn is to fibrillate and the harder it is for tufting needles to penetrate the unfibrillated portions.
- Another goal of the treatment process is also to preferably fibrillate the yarn and/or filaments of the fabric.
- Example sentences
- I've had heart fibrillation, but they gave me an electric shock, and it went back to its right place.
- The most common cause of sudden cardiac death is ventricular fibrillation.
- A second cardiac arrest that began with asystole was followed by ventricular fibrillation.
Definition of fibrillate in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.