A small amphibious crab, the males of which have one greatly enlarged claw that they wave in territorial display and courtship.
- Genus Uca, family Ocypodidae
More example sentences
- The male fiddler crab bangs territorial warnings into the sand with its oversized claw.
- Males of the fiddler crab Uca musica sometimes build sand hoods at the entrances of their burrows, to which they attract females for mating with claw waving and other displays.
- Foot-drumming of banner-tailed kangaroo rats and the chela drumming of the male fiddler crab are percussion-induced seismic signals.
Definition of fiddler crab in:
- The British & World English dictionary