Definition of field goal in English:
1 Football A goal scored by a placekick, scoring three points.
- It was the second time in three years Brady set the stage for a field goal to win the Super Bowl.
- If it scores a field goal, the other team can restart the procedure by matching it or win the game by scoring a touchdown.
- One of the surest kickers of all time, Andersen is the NFL's career leader in game-deciding field goals and in consecutive games with a score.
2 Basketball A basket scored while the clock is running and the ball is in play.
- This season, O'Neal set career game highs in points, field goals, free throws, and assists (nine).
- Brazil scored the next two field goals and closed to within five points, 44-39, with 7: 54 to play in the third period.
- The Lakers didn't even score a field goal for six of the final seven minutes, but it didn't matter cause they were always at the line.
Definition of field goal in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan