Definition of field goal in English:
1 Football A goal scored by a placekick, scoring three points.
- It was the second time in three years Brady set the stage for a field goal to win the Super Bowl.
- If it scores a field goal, the other team can restart the procedure by matching it or win the game by scoring a touchdown.
- One of the surest kickers of all time, Andersen is the NFL's career leader in game-deciding field goals and in consecutive games with a score.
2 Basketball A basket scored while the clock is running and the ball is in play.
- This season, O'Neal set career game highs in points, field goals, free throws, and assists (nine).
- Brazil scored the next two field goals and closed to within five points, 44-39, with 7: 54 to play in the third period.
- The Lakers didn't even score a field goal for six of the final seven minutes, but it didn't matter cause they were always at the line.
Definition of field goal in:
- British & World English dictionary