nounchiefly North American
- 1An extra wheel for a four-wheeled vehicle.More example sentences
- Mann adds that a sliding fifth wheel helps drivers get into tight places.
- And while you're driving, why don't you give a thought and a thanks to those nameless engineers and designers who have devoted so much attention to this most important fifth wheel.
- 1.1 • informal A superfluous person or thing.More example sentences
- Though they tried to include me in their activities I generally declined their invitations not wanting to be a third wheel or a fifth wheel or a seventh wheel.
- I was now the fifth wheel, and I hated being the fifth wheel.
- I grew tired of being the fifth wheel so I got up and went into my room to study.
- 2A coupling between a trailer and a vehicle used for towing.More example sentences
- We are now equipped with a new truck and fifth wheel and ready to follow the sun once more.
- 2.1 (also fifth-wheel trailer) A trailer with accommodations for camping out.More example sentences
- We'd buy a large pickup truck and a fifth-wheel trailer and would travel the United States indefinitely - a retirement many couples enjoy immensely.
- On the other hand, my parents own a fifth-wheel trailer.
- In February 2003, my wife and I began our year as usual by hooking up our fifth-wheel trailer and travelling south for some winter sun.
More definitions of fifth wheelDefinition of fifth wheel in:
- The British & World English dictionary