number (plural fifties)
- 1The number equivalent to the product of five and ten; half of one hundred; 50: only fifty percent of the aircraft were serviceable about fifty of us filed in a fifty-pound salmon (Roman numeral: l or L)More example sentences
- Five rooms at Clarence House will be open to the public this year between August 4 and October 17 (at a cost of five pounds and fifty pence).
- If all you have on arrival is the equivalent of fifty pound notes, try asking a change bureau at your holiday destination airport to break a note down for you.
- Agents say that they sending back over fifty percent of some deliveries because their products don't sell very well.
- 1.1 (fifties) The numbers from 50 to 59, especially the years of a century or of a person’s life: Elvis is the icon of the FiftiesMore example sentences
- Stephen who was in his middle fifties was working on a television aerial in the Aghamore area fell from the roof of a two storey house, he was rushed to Castlebar hospital but died a short time later.
- And by then, it's too late to retool - the opportunity costs of going back to school in your fifties are huge.
- Very few men in their forties caught my eye but once in the fifties, they aged rapidly in comparison to their female counterparts.
- 1.2Fifty years old: she looked about fiftyMore example sentences
- Their ages range between fifty to eighty-three.
- By the age of fifty, most of us are haunted by ghosts.
- The dread didn't sink in until I realised I was probably the youngest person in the theatre, with the mean age being about fifty.
- 1.3Fifty miles an hour: doing about fiftyMore example sentences
- From the corner came her sister's red jeep probably going about fifty miles an hour.
- The planes only had a top speed of fifty miles per hour and when hitting strong headwinds actually began to move backwards in mid-air.
- He estimated that his top running speed is about fifty miles per hour.
- 1.4A fifty-dollar bill.More example sentences
- Will pulled out a massive wad of notes - fifties - and started betting five times in a row on black, five on red.
- More example sentences
- Last year's broadcast - her fiftieth - was arguably the best.
- My grandparents married on Christmas Day (quite common in their day) and it was their fiftieth anniversary.
- So for his fiftieth birthday I organized for him a surprise birthday party with all his closest friends.
More definitions of fiftyDefinition of fifty in:
- The British & World English dictionary