Definition of fighting words in English:
1Words indicating a willingness to fight or challenge someone.
- Translation: This six-letter word is fighting talk.
- Still to come, it's a war of words and the Democrats are studying those fighting words.
- ‘We're in mourning - leave us alone,’ he begged, before finding his voice and a vocabulary of fighting words.
1.1US Words expressing an insult, especially of an ethnic, racial, or sexist nature.
- But there was no need to touch someone you wanted to insult - you could utter fighting words instead.
- So why would ‘Black girl ‘yelled across a schoolyard become fighting words for me?’
- In the presence of fighting words, the manly form of behavior was not turning the other cheek, but rather an immediate and aggressive physical response.
Definition of fighting words in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan