Definition of filefish in English:
noun (plural same or filefishes)
A fish with a dorsal spine and rough scales, related to the triggerfishes and occurring in tropical and sometimes temperate seas.
- Numerous genera and species, family Balistidae (or Monacanthidae)
- Sponges constituted the majority of stomach contents of angelfishes and the filefish.
- Every sort of reef fish competed for meals, the oddest being the boxfish, trunkfish and filefish, all trying to feed through pursed lips.
- Scrawled filefish seem enormous and, of course, the ubiquitous titan and the inappropriately named yellowmargin triggerfish are active everywhere.
Late 18th century: from file3 (because of its rough skin, suggesting the surface of a file).
Words that rhyme with filefishkillifish • pipefish
Definition of filefish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.