- A seed-eating songbird that typically has a stout bill and colorful plumage.
More example sentences
- The true finches belong to the family Fringillidae (the finch family), which includes chaffinches, canaries, linnets, crossbills, etc. Many other finches belong to the bunting, waxbill, or sparrow families
- Finches get bigger, fish gets smaller, but a finch is still a finch and a fish is still a fish.
- Their bills are slimmer than those of most finches.
- Sometimes they are called Painted finches, or Rainbow finches.
Old English finc; related to Dutch vink and German Fink.
More definitions of finchDefinition of finch in:
- The British & World English dictionary