Definition of fire ant in English:
A tropical American ant that has a painful and sometimes dangerous sting.
- Genus Solenopsis, family Formicidae: several species, in particular the South American S. invicta, which has become a serious pest in the southeastern US
- The fire ant has swept onto the American landscape with an ever-increasing impact.
- Within 20 years of hitting U.S. soil, the red fire ant had entered 10 states, 200 counties - and 10 million socks.
- The red fire ant, a native of southern Brazil, is a serious new pest which was first detected in Taiwan last year.
Definition of fire ant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia