Definition of fire ant in English:
A tropical American ant that has a painful and sometimes dangerous sting.
- Genus Solenopsis, family Formicidae: several species, in particular the South American S. invicta, which has become a serious pest in the southeastern US
- The fire ant has swept onto the American landscape with an ever-increasing impact.
- Within 20 years of hitting U.S. soil, the red fire ant had entered 10 states, 200 counties - and 10 million socks.
- The red fire ant, a native of southern Brazil, is a serious new pest which was first detected in Taiwan last year.
Definition of fire ant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.