Definition of fire drill in English:
1A practice of the emergency procedures to be used in case of fire.
- If you had planned and practiced a home fire drill, you will know exactly what to do, almost automatically, to quickly and safely get out from a burning house.
- Another way to identify problems that might occur during an evacuation is to perform a fire drill using only emergency lighting.
- When you hold your fire drill, all family members should practise crawling on their hands and knees low under smoke, one to two feet above the ground where the air is cooler and cleaner.
2A primitive device for kindling fire by frictional heating, consisting of a pointed stick that is twirled in a hole in a flat piece of soft wood.
- There are two words in Old Icelandic that specifically refer to fire-drills.
- Many early fire-makers learned to further improve the fire-drill by adding mechanical advantage to the technique.
- This was my first time using a fire drill, and I found the process pretty simple.
Definition of fire drill in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan