Definition of fireback in English:
1The back wall of a fireplace.
- The original fireplace in the hall proved to have an elegant curved back and a decorative fireback of herringbone brick and was surmounted by a massive pine lintel.
- Side by side with his mining operations he extended his activities to the production of firebacks and other articles for use in building operations where resistance to great heat was required, notably blast furnaces.
- If the fireback needs repairing, use heat-resistant fire cement, obtainable from builders' merchants.
1.1A metal plate covering the back wall of a fireplace.
- The output for these furnaces was pig iron, a coarse and brittle product that could be used only for casting crude heavy items such as kettles, stove plates, and firebacks.
- A stylish Philadelphia parlor is conceptually incomplete if the fireplace is not fitted with wrought-iron andirons and a cast-iron fireback.
- Museums display a few French cast iron mortars, and in the 17th and 18th centuries fine decorated firebacks were cast in the Sussex and Kentish Weald.
Words that rhyme with firebackpickaback • huckaback
Definition of fireback in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan