Definition of fireballer in English:
A pitcher who throws a good fastball.
- He was traded to the Detroit Tigers in 1938 and actually beat Bob Feller when the Cleveland fireballer set the strikeout record at 18.
- The Boston fireballer led the league in games, games finished, and saves in 1962; was second in all three categories in 1963; and led once again in games finished and saves in 1964 while placing second in games.
- Hendley was a fireballer pitching for Lanier High School.
- Example sentences
- Maloney, a fireballing right-hander, toiled 12 years in the majors, with the Reds and Angels, finishing with a 134-84 mark and 3.19 ERA.
- Teamed with fireballing lefty Randy Johnson as one of the best starting pitching duos in the major leagues, Schilling won 18 of his first 24 decisions and was 18-6 with a 2.98 earned run average by late-August.
- Pinch hitters have almost all of their chances against fireballing, late-inning relief pitchers capable of breaking bats and crippling wills.
Definition of fireballer in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan