A pitcher who throws a good fastball.
- He was traded to the Detroit Tigers in 1938 and actually beat Bob Feller when the Cleveland fireballer set the strikeout record at 18.
- The Boston fireballer led the league in games, games finished, and saves in 1962; was second in all three categories in 1963; and led once again in games finished and saves in 1964 while placing second in games.
- Hendley was a fireballer pitching for Lanier High School.
- Example sentences
- Maloney, a fireballing right-hander, toiled 12 years in the majors, with the Reds and Angels, finishing with a 134-84 mark and 3.19 ERA.
- Teamed with fireballing lefty Randy Johnson as one of the best starting pitching duos in the major leagues, Schilling won 18 of his first 24 decisions and was 18-6 with a 2.98 earned run average by late-August.
- Pinch hitters have almost all of their chances against fireballing, late-inning relief pitchers capable of breaking bats and crippling wills.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of fireballer in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.