Definition of fireblight in English:
A serious bacterial disease of plants of the rose family, especially fruit trees, giving the leaves a scorched appearance.
- The bacterium is Erwinia amylovora
- Orchardists are concerned the bacterial disease fireblight could be imported into Australia, with devastating effects on the local fruit industry.
- Australia currently bans the import of New Zealand apples because it fears the fireblight bacterial disease.
- Australian growers remain concerned about the risk of the disease fireblight being introduced to their orchards.
Definition of fireblight in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan