Entry from British & World English dictionary
Definition of firefish in English:
noun (plural same or firefishes)
1A scorpionfish with venomous spines.
- Genera Pterois and Dendrochirus, family Scorpaenidae
- He might similarly be discommoded by firefish, I continued, which are easier to spot but no less hurtful.
- Firefishes have numerous small teeth that occur in clusters on the upper and lower jaws.
- The firefish is feared by marine creatures and humans alike, due to its poisonous dorsal spines.
2A pink- or red-coloured fish related to the wormfishes.
- Subfamily Ptereleotrinae, family Microdesmidae
- Exotic juvenile fish such as firefish can be found in Camp Cove each year, but they rarely make it through Sydney's chilly winter waters.
- The Firefish is one of the more popular fish in the marine hobby.
- I was wondering if anyone has had any success with schools of fire fish.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.