Definition of firefly in English:
noun (plural fireflies)
A soft-bodied beetle related to the glowworm, the winged male and flightless female of which both have luminescent organs. The light is chiefly produced as a signal between the sexes, especially in flashes.
- Family Lampyridae: many species
- Later lab experiments showed that by flashing an artificial light at a firefly you could speed up its rhythm, you could slow it down, make it flash a little later than it would otherwise.
- We were guided as we went by millions of fireflies whose flashing marked the banks like landing lights on an airstrip.
- The firefly's light is only visible for an instant.
Words that rhyme with fireflyflocculi • ranunculi
Definition of firefly in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan