- A ship loaded with burning material and explosives and set adrift to ignite and blow up an enemy’s ships.More example sentences
- At this point the English sent in fireships and the Armada scattered in disarray.
- The running battle up the Channel was inconclusive, and only the English fireship attack on the Armada's anchorage off Calais broke the stalemate.
- On the left of the picture, meanwhile, English fireships set out towards the approaching Armada.
More definitions of fireshipDefinition of fireship in:
- The British & World English dictionary