Definition of fireside in English:
1The area around a fireplace (used especially with reference to a person’s home or family life): he preferred the warmth of his own fireside
More example sentences
- As the autumn evenings draw in, a cosy fireside armchair beckons!
- A fairy tale can find its beginnings in the simple sentences of sagas told at the family fireside.
- Many the years that have passed since we sat entranced by the stories of the old people by the fireside long ago.
1.1US A fireside chat.
- Beginning March 4th, 1933, and running through March 1st, 1945 FDR's fireside chats were a staple in American Homes.
- Last week President Roosevelt gave the nation another of his Sunday night radio ‘fireside’ chats, his first since June.
- The fireside chats were enormously successful and even attracted more listeners than the most popular radio shows during this Golden Age of Radio.
Words that rhyme with firesideHumberside • underside
Definition of fireside in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan