noun (plural firmans)
1A Near Eastern sovereign’s edict.
- Those days, through a shahi firman (royal edict) certain persons were appointed to perform some specific tasks.
- The Tarikh-Ilahi became the official calendar, and the decrees of the ruling Moghal emperor of India (the farmans) henceforth carried both the synthetic Tarikh and the Muslim Hijri date, and occasionally only the Tarikh.
- He agrees that Elgin exceeded the terms of his firman, but points out that there were two additional firmans from the Sultan sanctioning the export of the marbles.
2A grant or permit.
- Hunt's acquisitive instincts far surpassed anything the Sublime Porte had in mind when it granted the firman.
- Jahangir might initially grant a farman or permission, only to contradict it with an oral statement later.
- Having obtained the historic firman from Emperor Shah Alam, Clive returned to Calcutta to do what he promised his wife.
Words that rhyme with firmanBurman, German, Herman, sermon, Sherman
Definition of firman in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.