- A gain of ten yards or more in field position during a series of downs, permitting the offensive team to attempt another series of downs.More example sentences
- The Chiefs' last two games have yielded some huge numbers - more than 70 first downs, 1,000 total yards and 101 points.
- The first-team offense netted 297 yards and 12 first downs.
- Seattle's first-string offense had just 16 total yards and no first downs in the first quarter.
More definitions of first downDefinition of first down in:
- The British & World English dictionary