Definition of first floor in English:
1North American The ground floor of a building.
- The apartment was on the first floor of a six-floor building and as usual it was a mess.
- He ran up the stairs to the first floor, but found that part of the building vacant.
- She hurried out of the room, downstairs to the first floor hall and into the kitchen.
1.1chiefly British The floor of a building just above the ground floor.
- The mews development will be arranged as single bedroom apartments on the raised ground and first floors with the first floor having access via external metal staircases.
- It would have retail units on the ground floor, first floor offices and a conference centre above.
- The first floor bedsit is above a bakery in Gillygate - the main road into the city from Haxby and Wigginton.
Definition of first floor in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan