1The wife of the president of the US or other head of state.
- And we leave you know with a picture of the president and the first lady returning to the South Lawn of the White House.
- And you don't think, therefore, the president or the first lady owe us an explanation of this at all.
- The president and the first lady should be the chief guests.
1.1 (usually first lady) The leading woman in a particular activity or profession: the first lady of rock
More example sentences
- The first lady of underground rock is always a welcome presence on the music scene, but there's nothing here she hasn't done before and better.
- The rest of the ride is the sort of reflective, acoustic rock that will probably see her hailed as the new first lady of folk, but her appeal should be more wide-ranging.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: First La·dy
Definition of First Lady in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.