Definition of first name in English:
A personal name given to someone at birth or baptism and used before a family name.
- He might have seized power in a military coup and immediately cancelled elections, but hey, he's a first-name kind of guy.
- In 1959 he converted to Roman Catholicism and adopted the first name Léonard in recognition of his admiration for Leonardo da Vinci.
- His first name was originally William, but he adopted ‘Walt’ in about 1900.
on a first-name basis
- Having a friendly and informal relationship: an amateur ecologist who is on a first-name basis with most reptilesMore example sentences
- We are on first-name terms with many of the staff, who have been great and there are some really big personalities among them.
- I find it so much more pleasant to work with people on first-name terms.
- He is on first-name terms with every national newspaper editor, goes on holiday with the present editor of The Sun, and counts television executives and celebrities among his impeccable social contacts.