- A person who subjects themselves or others to flogging, either as a religious discipline or for sexual gratification.More example sentences
- In mid-1349, Pope Clement VI issued a papal bull denouncing the flagellants as a heretical movement.
- Critics used to make fun of monks who wore hair shirts, flagellants who whipped themselves, Puritans who did not want good times.
- In response, flagellants whipped themselves in order to ‘take the sins of others upon themselves.’
late 16th century: from Latin flagellant- 'whipping', from the verb flagellare, from flagellum 'whip' (see flagellum).
More definitions of flagellantDefinition of flagellant in:
- The British & World English dictionary