- (Of an engine) having four horizontal cylinders, two on each side of the crankshaft.More example sentences
- The low centre of gravity coming from the horizontal installation of the flat-four engine plays its part here, even though the suspension is markedly softer than that of the saloon.
- Porsche's revolutionary chassis enclosed an air-cooled, flat-four engine that had originally been designed in 1912 to power World War I fighter planes.
- Here is a car maker ploughing its own proud furrow which it plants with flat-four engines, frameless door windows and four-wheel drive to make an intriguing if unconventional cocktail.
nounBack to top
- A flat-four engine.More example sentences
- Turning the key brings that distinctive sound of a flat-four but it never becomes obtrusive and even when revved hard, it stays as smooth as a sewing machine.
More definitions of flat-fourDefinition of flat-four in:
- The British & World English dictionary