Definition of flavivirus in English:
Any of a group of RNA viruses, mostly having arthropod vectors, that cause a number of serious human diseases including yellow fever, dengue, various types of encephalitis, and hepatitis C.
- Family Flaviviridae, three genera
- West Nile virus is a flavivirus within the Japanese encephalitis serocomplex, which includes St Louis encephalitis, yellow fever, and dengue fever.
- Other flaviviruses are yellow fever, Japanese encephalitis, dengue, and Saint Louis encephalitis.
- West Nile virus is an important arthropod borne flavivirus; it usually causes a mild infection called West Nile fever in humans and horses.
Definition of flavivirus in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan