- 1A broad flat limb without fingers, used for swimming by various sea animals such as seals, whales, and turtles.More example sentences
- Modern sirenians (manatees and dugongs) are large, docile, aquatic herbivores that have flippers for forelimbs and no hind limbs.
- With a few broad strokes of its flippers, the turtle I've nabbed tows me along under the shallow water until I find my feet, only to be pulled off them again as the powerful creature yanks me forward.
- The forelimbs are specialized to form flippers, and the hind limbs and pelvis are extremely small and do not normally extend out of the body wall of the animal.
- 1.1A flat rubber attachment worn on the foot for underwater swimming.More example sentences
- Customers can also win a pair of Turkey feet - like rubber flippers.
- Crunching awkwardly over the broken glass (her father's shoes were like flippers on her feet) she peered down at the brick and saw that there was a piece of paper wrapped around it.
- Sure, people noticed the flipper attached to the prosthesis on his left leg.
- 1.2A pivoted arm in a pinball machine, controlled by the player and used for sending the ball back up the table.More example sentences
- The machine resembles a vertical pinball box without the flippers to control the dropping of the ball from top to bottom - the only control is the powerflicker, with which you can propel the balls faster or slower into the box.
- Bumper is a very playable pinball game where you control the flippers on a virtual pinball machine.
- Gaspard's also boasts an original pre-impressionist juke box, complete with scratchy Sartrean torch songs by Greco and Piaf, and a pinball machine whose left flipper has been bust since Stevenson's day.
More definitions of flipperDefinition of flipper in:
- The British & World English dictionary