Definition of floating holiday in English:
1A public holiday that does not fall on the same numeric date each year, such as the US Thanksgiving, which always falls on the fourth Thursday of November.
- Even in Canada, Thanksgiving is a floating holiday.
- Columbus Day is a floating holiday, it is always on Monday.
- Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that Thanksgiving is a "floating" holiday (ie, not held on the same date each year).
2A paid day off from work, given as a substitution for a public holiday and typically taken on a day chosen by the employee.
- Employees can choose two floating holidays from among several, including the King holiday, Passover, Good Friday and Columbus Day.
- "Some employers are also offering their senior executives flexible work options in compressed work-weeks, in telecommuting, in floating holidays and in job-sharing and part-time work."
- In January, a resolution allowing county employees to use the day as a floating holiday failed by one vote.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia