noun• informal , chiefly US
- A cheap hotel or rooming house.More example sentences
- As his second decade wore on, he wandered round the country staying in flophouses, rooming houses and cheap hotels - drunk, obviously, most of the time throughout the Forties, and excused by a psychiatrist from wartime military service.
- On December 2, 1913 twenty-seven lives were lost when a South End flophouse, the Hotel Acadia, burned to the ground.
- Nevertheless, she and her staff have found that a demand exists for what flophouses offer: a cheap, secure place to stay a short time without having to answer any questions.
More definitions of flophouseDefinition of flophouse in:
- The British & World English dictionary