- An Asian shrub of the rose family, with bright red flowers followed by round white, green, or yellow edible fruits. Also called Japanese quince, japonica.
More example sentences
- Genus Chaenomeles, family Rosaceae: several species, in particular C. speciosa, which is grown as an ornamental
- Prune back your hybrid tea roses, any overgrown forsythia and flowering quince branches and remove the dead, diseased and damaged branches from all trees and shrubs as you tidy up this time of year.
- Using sharp pruners, cut budding branches of bridal wreath spiraea, flowering quince, forsythia, honeysuckle, pussywillow, and service-berry.
- These trees, including many varieties of crabapple, hawthorn, pear, mountain ash, flowering quince and pyracantha, should be pruned during the dormant season.