- 1A compound of fluorine with another element or group, especially a salt of the anion F− or an organic compound with fluorine bonded to an alkyl group.More example sentences
- Highly substituted alkyl fluorides, perfluoroalkanes, are now used as artificial blood substitutes because of their oxygen transporting properties.
- What Sanpaolesi had aimed to do was to consolidate the deteriorated surface of the marble by forming a layer of calcium, zinc and magnesium fluorides and silica gel on the marble surface.
- Many elements form fluorides, however, that cannot be labeled covalent or ionic; these halides exhibit the characteristics of polymeric compounds.
- 1.1Sodium fluoride or another fluorine-containing salt added to water supplies or toothpaste in order to reduce tooth decay.More example sentences
- Like all the other dentists, Lester had learnt in dental school that fluoride reduces tooth decay.
- There is overwhelming evidence that fluoride can substantially reduce tooth decay.
- Use fluoride toothpaste as fluoride makes teeth stronger and more resistant to acid attacks.
More definitions of fluorideDefinition of fluoride in:
- The British & World English dictionary