Definition of fly the flag in English:
1(Of a ship) be registered in a particular country and sail under its flag.
- At the time, all the major cruise lines were incorporated abroad, and every major ship they sailed flew the flag of a country other than the United States.
- On 12 January 2003, the MV Dorine, a Polish bulk carrier flying the flag of Cyprus, berthed in Bell Bay, Launceston.
- Two ships appeared on the horizon flying the flag that I was taught to be of Spain.
1.1 (also show or carry or wave the flag) Represent or demonstrate support for one’s country, political party, or organization, especially when one is abroad: he will never consider buying an import, because he likes to fly the flag
More example sentences
- He is waving the flag to show his support for better relations between Canada and the United States.
- By the same token, the Democratic Party will carry the flag of anti-clericism.
- He missed the chance to wave the flag for all who do not identify with any party and are simply proud to be Irish.
Definition of fly the flag in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan