Definition of flying fish in English:
A fish of warm seas that leaps out of the water and uses its winglike pectoral fins to glide over the surface for some distance.
- Family Exocoetidae: several genera and species, in particular Exocoetus volitans
- The answer is that they often consume flying fish, which leap over the water's surface, and sometimes rob other birds of a meal.
- I shot off reel after reel of film on the oceanic birds following the ship, shared in the watch on the depth finder, watched whales in the distance and penguins porpoising through the water like flying fish.
- The open ocean indeed is too big to comprehend - 360 million square km of seawater constantly traversed by great ocean travellers - blue fin tuna, giant jelly fish, turtles and flying fish.
Definition of flying fish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan