Definition of flying fox in English:
A large fruit bat with a foxlike face, found in Madagascar, Southeast Asia, and northern Australia.
- Pteropus and two other genera, family Pteropodidae: numerous species
- The Megachiroptera includes the so-called fruitbats and flying foxes of the tropical forests of India, Africa, Asia, and Australia.
- All flying foxes are fruit bats, but not all fruit bats are flying foxes.
- The Megachiroptera, or fruitbats and flying foxes, navigate largely by sight and have large, forward-facing eyes that can see in very dim light, as you can see on the skeleton of a fruitbat pictured above.
Definition of flying fox in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.