Definition of focal length in English:
1The distance between the center of a lens or curved mirror and its focus.
- Yet Stork determined the probable focal length of a concave mirror made by inverting and silvering the convex mirror shown in the painting.
- This produces a rounded lens with a small focal length, so the drop can focus light only to a point near itself.
- This will give a negative focal length for a convex lens of air inside water.
1.1The equivalent distance in a compound lens or telescope.
- He developed a general rule for the focal length of lenses and described a reflecting telescope.
- Huygens later went back to the study of optics and developed long focal length lenses used in ‘aerial telescopes.’
- One evening he was observing with a rather crude refractor (a lens telescope), with a focal length of 24 feet.
Definition of focal length in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan