Definition of fomentation in English:
1The action of instigating or stirring up undesirable sentiment or actions.
- In his memoirs, Joseph Holt recalled the fomentation of what was to become the Castle Hill rebellion.
- More than any military operation, this kind of power projection works against the fomentation of militant hatred towards them.
- The reasons for the fomentation of militancy have been spectacularly perpetuated by your very own government.
2 archaic A poultice.
- Peat baths and peat fomentations have been used since the beginning of time to alleviate pain and disease.
- Hot fomentations would give great relief, but did not give sufficient rest to the joint to permit of a cure.
- There is an art to folding and making fomentations work right.
Definition of fomentation in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan