Definition of food in English:
Any nutritious substance that people or animals eat or drink, or that plants absorb, in order to maintain life and growth: we need food and water they had eaten their food and slept baby foods [as modifier]: food shortages figurative music is food for the soul
More example sentences
- Ach well, food tastes better in the open air.
- All the food tastes like rubber, like it was sitting up in the refrigerator for five years.
- My husband is Australian, where they eat lots of fresh summery food.
bread, daily bread;
food for thought
- Something that warrants serious consideration.Example sentences
- Although she had been quickly brought back, the incident would nonetheless provide some food for thought.
- And this recent Reason magazine editorial provides ample food for thought about Raed.
- And it provides plenty of food for thought for those writers who are wondering what it is that holds readers to the page.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan