Definition of foot-pound in English:
1A unit of energy equal to the amount required to raise 1 pound a distance of 1 foot.
- Air pistols are limited by law to a kinetic energy level of six foot-pounds (ft/lbs).
- The most practical measurement for us is free recoil energy in foot-pounds.
- It is not necessary to hold a certificate for an air rifle which can produce a kinetic energy of less than 12 foot-pounds.
2A unit of torque equal to the force of 1 lb acting perpendicularly to an axis of rotation at a distance of 1 foot.
- The engine was at 850 foot-pounds of torque, too high to land.
- It offers a 30-hp, 12,000-rpm spindle with 123 foot-pounds of torque.
- A 2.2-litre in-line four is the base engine, offering 145 horsepower and 155 foot-pounds of torque.
Definition of foot-pound in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia