- 1A form of team game played in North America with an oval ball on a field marked out as a gridiron.More example sentences
- Not to mention he got straight A's, was on the soccer, football and swim team.
- This marvellous facility is home to soccer, football and hurling clubs and a training ground for local athletes.
- Who in their right mind would risk life and limb to referee a local soccer or football match?
- 1.1 British term for soccer.
- 1.2Play in a game of football, especially when stylish and entertaining: his team played some impressive footballMore example sentences
- Both teams like to get the ball on the deck and play through the midfield and that makes it entertaining football to watch.
- Confidence was now running high for Molleran's and at last they began to show some of the stylish football that had taken them to the final.
- The club reached its peak in the 1970s, when it gained a reputation for playing entertaining football.
- 2A ball used in football, either oval (as in American football) or round (as in soccer), typically made of leather or plastic and filled with compressed air.More example sentences
- But, when you are carrying one of the footballs or the soccer ball, you can be tackled.
- No more flying footballs through the goal post to decide the outcome.
- It was running the football, protecting the ball and forcing turnovers.
- 2.1A topical issue or problem that is the subject of continued argument or controversy: the use of education as a political footballMore example sentences
- Some people are seeking to use the issue as a football, rather than trying to find genuine solutions to the obvious difficulties.
- What happens afterwards should focus on the football, not violence and other side issues.
- Is a paper that outsells every other title in Scotland really capable of turning the serious issue of drugs into an election football?
- More example sentences
- Either way, it started a tradition of Dutch footballers pulling out of World Cups.
- Seldom has a footballer looked more free of care than Ronaldo did when it was all over.
- The more Finnish footballers in the top flight of English football the better.
- More example sentences
- It was a piece of sublime individualism, the sort that separates footballing greats from great footballers.
- I played for Sheffield United last season on loan but didn't really appreciate how much of a footballing city Sheffield is.
- If the great experiment in footballing democracy were to take hold here, the fans just might rescue what is left of football's soul.
More definitions of footballDefinition of football in:
- The British & World English dictionary