Definition of forbidding in English:
Unfriendly or threatening in appearance: a grim and forbidding building
More example sentences
- She found that she could not think straight, for her mind kept returning to the forbidding trees - unfriendly reminders of the peaceful days of her childhood.
- His first impression was the airport, which seemed a very forbidding, communist building.
- He started Baptist church school at the age of eight, in a forbidding Victorian grey brick building.
- Example sentences
- Not that he seems to have much time for books, surfing or other diversions: ‘What is permissible and forbidden is clarified here,’ he declares rather forbiddingly.
- It is played out with unimpeachable integrity and care, but a sudden switchback in the narrative turns everything forbiddingly and even frustratingly dark and means that much of the movie's inner emotional life is amputated.
- Not only too tall, they also cut off other lower Manhattan neighborhoods from one another with their barrier-like raised plaza, forbiddingly deserted at night and on weekends.
Words that rhyme with forbiddingRidding
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan