Definition of forecheck in English:
verb[no object] Ice Hockey
Play an aggressive style of defense, checking opponents in their own defensive zone, before they can organize an attack.
- The Sabres rarely forechecked aggressively, and Peca's biggest job was usually to shut down the opponent's top center.
- The thought there is that teams are reluctant to forecheck against a goaltender who basically acts as a third defenseman and can move the puck up the ice very efficiently.
- He consistently works hard, forechecking and backchecking every shift.
- Example sentences
- He is more of a forechecker - a disruptor who plays hard every shift.
- When forced to dump the puck, forecheckers must battle through blockers to reach the defenseman along the boards behind the net.
- Against teams that employ the trap, a lefthanded shooter on the right side has an advantage because he can put his body between the forechecker and puck.
Definition of forecheck in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan