- A stay leading forward and down to support a ship’s foremast.More example sentences
- We prefer the ‘old way,’ a light hung near the forestay not too far above the deck.
- It is an image for all time: tiny figure beneath a sky-scraping mast, Tower Bridge open to salute her, left arm hooked around the forestay with the greatest nonchalance, and right arm raised, fist clenched.
- By contrast, an inner forestay and staysail can be left in place, ready to go when you need them most.
More definitions of forestayDefinition of forestay in:
- The British & World English dictionary